Sunday, September 13, 2020

Dylife to Dinas Mawddy on Cambrian Way: Day 12

A long day with a steep climb at the end.

Fortunately my pegs held firm in the wind overnight and by 7:30 am I was climbing up the hillside out of the woods and across the mountains. Parts of today's route were across rough ground, some on tracks and a bit on quiet roads. The complex route went through many gates. In addition to the latches, bits of rope were often used to secure them, sometimes tied in such complicated ways that they were difficult to remove. Some gateposts had shifted so that you had to lift the gate to open or close it. Often it was easier just to climb over, the polished lower bars showed I was not the first to do so. I walked by another red telephone box today. No telephone, just some bags of cooking apples.

A gate secured not only by a rope but also by barbed wire. Someone does not want you to use this right of way. Just climb over.

The trail runs through a wind farm. I found it easiest to walk on the gravel access road, although the route actually went over rough ground to one side which gave views of the valley below at the expense of tiring walking. Some people dislike these wind turbines, but maybe in years to come they will become accustomed to them and they will cause no more offence than forestry plantations with their straight lines of coniferous trees. Certainly they have a role in preventing our planet overheating.

Wind farm and access road, easier to walk on than rough moorland.

Later, by a ruined house I disturbed a flock of pheasants, it seemed like thousands of birds rose to the air, flapping furiously with frightened squawks. Fortunately for them no gentlemen with shotguns were waiting to bring them down. Corn was spread across the track and there were devices with broad brimmed "hats" beside the road to feed the birds with dry grain. At Mallwyd I indulged in a coffee and rich chocolate cake at the Brigands Inn. As elsewhere in Mid Wales there were a lot of middle aged motor bikers around. You could hear them as you approached any main road, their bikes roaring and popping as they raced through the countryside, weaving around cars on the winding roads. 
The final section to Dinas Mawddy involved a steep climb up the hillside before reaching an old quarry and then dropping down to the village. I thought this routing cruel and unnecessary after such a long daily stage, but I suppose anyone choosing a walk that climbs all the major mountains of Wales must be prepared for some hard work.

Unfortunately, due to Covid 19, the camping and caravan site I was planning to stay at was not taking tents (something to do with toilets), and the local accommodation was closed or full. I decided to have a meal at the Red Lion, and then a dessert with coffee, and by the time I left it was dark. Fortunately the old quarry I had passed earlier on my way to the village looked like it would make a good camping spot, so I climbed back up through the trees with my head torch lighting the path and pitched my tent beside the old quarry buildings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment