Wednesday, September 9, 2020

Llandovery to Ty'n-y-cornel hostel on Cambrian Way: Day 8

Unlike previous days, in the main today's route followed a valley, often on quiet roads, rather than along a ridge on uncertain paths.

First I stopped at the post office to get some cash. Most places now take cards for payment for fear that coins and notes are contaminated by Coronavirus, even small village cafés, but maybe I would find exceptions and I had forgotten to bring much real money with me. As the cash machine was empty I queued up for the counter, the regulation two metres behind the customer in front of me as required by Covid rules. In the manner of country post offices the lady at the counter was having a natter with the post mistress so it took a little while to get my money. 

The first part of my route was mainly on quiet, single lane tarmac roads, with some farm tracks and the occasional overgrown and boggy path. On each side of me mature hedges lined the roads containing hazel, hawthorn, holly and honeysuckle, bracken and ripe blackberries, soft and sweet. Beyond the hedges there were fields of grass, some dotted with sheep. I missed a few junctions, the public footpaths were not well marked, and I was glad of the guidebook to supplement the track on my GPS where the correct route was not apparent. 

Quiet roads and hedgerows. 

Lunch included a slice of Auntie Muriel's Bara Brith, a leftover from a loaf she gave us, my Auntie is an excellent baker of cakes and pies. I ate it at a campsite beside the river, its tidy well mown grass looked inviting but it seemed too early to stop for the night. My mood was improved not only by the Bara Brith, but because the drizzle at breakfast and its accompanying black clouds had cleared and now the sun was shining through patches of blue sky.

The valley I was following, initially by the River Towy and later the Afon Doethie, became progressively smaller, eventually forming a "V" shape with interlocking spurs, the epitome of a "young" valley as described in my school days. The small road morphed into a narrow path along the valley side, and I looked down on rapids and rocks in the river below. Neat fields were now replaced by steep slopes of bracken and reeds. I knew the Ty'n-y-cornel hostel was closed due to Covid-19 so, feeling tired, and seeing a small spot to camp by the path I pitched my tent, letting it dry out in the evening sun.

Doethie valley.

No comments:

Post a Comment